绝密 ★ 考试结束前
I.重写句子(15 points, 1.5 points each)
Rewrite each of the following sentences according to the requirement in brackets.
Example: The history of English words is the history of our civilization in many ways. (periodic sentence)
In many ways, the history of English words is the history of our civilization.
1. The young man jumped into the river. He saved the 1ittle boy. (simple sentence)
2. The plane from Chicago landed safely at Beijing Capital International Airport despite the heavy fog. (periodic sentence)
3. The beach was so beautiful. The weather was ideal for swimming in the sea. (compound sentence)
4. Children must go to school. They can develop their reasoning and thinking skills there. (complex sentence)
5. We decided that the movie was too violent. Our children liked to watch scary movies. They thought that we were wrong. (compound-complex sentence)
6. They played cards and swapped jokes. They passed the evening very pleasantly. (sentence with a modifying phrase)
7. Linda couldn’t decide whether to go on to college. She couldn’t decide whether to pursue her modeling career either. (sentence with parallel structure)
8. The chairman came to town in person to look into the cause of the incident. (sentence with to opener)
9. The Americans and the British may have little difficulty communicating with one another. They speak the same language. They share the same culture. (long sentence)
10. Space science may seem to have little to do with people’s daily lives. Space scientists see their science differently. They think their science gives perspective to everyday problems. (compound-complex sentence)
II.修改病句(15 points, 3 points each)
Correct the errors in the following sentences.
Example: After seeing an offensive mouthwash ad on television. I resolved never to buy that brand again.
After seeing an offensive mouthwash ad on television, I resolved never to buy that brand again.
11. The telephone rang loudly, the family was awakened in the middle of the night.
12. Tied to a post, the sea was tossing the boat up and clown.
13. We could see the football stadium driving across the bridge.
14. The Thompsons enjoy working together. Traveling around the country. Finding jobs as they move on.
15. The steel company has been losing money because its management is inefficient, high labor costs, and international competition is fierce.
III.辨认主题句(15 points, 5 points each)
16. Choose the best topic sentence from the four options below. Write the corresponding letter of your choice in the blank provided.
A. Passive smokers may easily catch the diseases active smokers invite.
B. Passive smoking is becoming widely recognized as a major health hazard.
C. Researchers find that second-hand smoke increases one’s risk of lung cancer.
D. Passive smoking refers to the second-hand smoke that nonsmokers breathe in.
Your choice: ________
17. Read the following paragraph and underline the topic sentence.
Many people think that a nurse is a smiling woman, in a white uniform and cap, whose main jobs are to take your temperature and give you injections while you are in hospital. However, this stereotype of a nurse is not correct. Today’s nurses, both male and female, are trained professionals who offer comfort and assistance to people who are physically or mentally ill. They work in hospital bedrooms and operating room; they also help people in institutions and provide professional home care. Using their medical and psychological training, they take care of their patients and help them recover from illnesses. A good nurse also teaches his or her patients how to stay healthy.
18. Read the following paragraph and choose the best topic sentence from the four options that follow. Write the corresponding letter of your choice in the blank provided.
The automobile is a very complicated piece of machinery. It contains thousands of parts connected and fitted so that they all work together. In many instances, the failure of one part will cause the failure of one or more other parts. Extensive repairs are then required. Most part failures cannot be blamed on defects in the parts. Lack of proper adjustment, insufficient lubrication (润滑), and corrosion(锈蚀) cause many failures. Proper maintenance will eliminate many of these causes, and thus minimize part failures. Meanwhile, the most efficient type of maintenance is preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance emphasizes the simple jobs. Checking and adjusting the level of oil in an engine is a simple job. Yet if the oil level drops too low, extensive engine damage will result. Checking and adjusting the air pressure in tires is another simple job. Yet under inflation is the most common cause of excessive tire wear.
A. Air pressure in tires must be adjusted to reduce excessive tire wear.
B. The automobile is a complicated machine and requires regular checking.
C. Lack of proper maintenance may lead to many part failures in an automobile.
D. Proper automobile maintenance, especially preventive maintenance, is important.
IV.重新组合段落(5 points, 1 point each)
19. Rearrange the following sentences so that they read logically. Put the corresponding letters in a proper sequence in the boxes provided below. The positions of some sentences have been given.
A. The teacher knows that interrupting a student before he or she finishes asking the question would send the message that the teacher does not consider that student’s question important.
B. Many effective teachers ask a follow-up question such as, “Does that answer your question?” or “Do you have any other questions you want to ask?”
C. An effective teacher shows respect for her students in the classroom.
D. When a student asks a question, the teacher listens intently and waits until the student finishes before responding.
E. Good teachers are not afraid to say, “I don’t know the answer to your question, but perhaps we can find out the answer.”
F. In sum, effective teachers know that showing respect for students will relieve anxiety in the classroom.
G. Additionally, successful teachers demonstrate their respect for students by learning their students’ names during the first week of class.
H. Then a concerned teacher will answer that student’s question directly and patiently.
V.找出与段落内容无关的句子并写在答题纸上(10 points,5 points each)
20. Read the following paragraph and find out the TWO irrelevant sentences.
One way to choose an occupation is to examine the skills required to perform the job well. Currently part-time jobs are much easier to obtain than full-time jobs. Consider the skills you already have or your ability and interest in obtaining the skills or training required for specific occupations. Some occupations that require mechanical ability, for instance, include elevator installers and repairers and auto mechanics. If you do not plan to attend college, consider occupations that require less formal education. Formal education is important, and no country can afford to neglect the education of its young people. If you are interested in engineering, for example, but do not want to pursue a college degree, drafters and engineering technicians are two occupations you can enter with one or two years of post-secondary training.
Ⅵ. 写信(40 points)
21. You have just finished your two-month teaching practice at Xinhua High School. Write a thank-you letter to the school headmaster Mr. Yang. In the letter,
① show your appreciation for the opportunity and the generous help from the teachers there;
② tell him the progress you have made and your desire to become a teacher after graduation.
Please sign your name as Li Ping. (150-200 words)